BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 8, 2009

Our weekend!

Well, we went down to Chicago for my cousin's high school graduation, and it was a lot of fun. We found out something unexpected, however; we are expecting a baby on February 17!!! Holy crap!

It was funny; I wasn't due to get my period until this Tuesday (tomorrow) but I was worried for some reason, although I was still kind of thinking, "Nah, I'm not." So I took a test--and I honestly thought it was more of a pre-emptive strike, and I TOTALLY expected it to confirm my suspicion that I was NOT pregnant--and saw just the faintest of a second line. I did a double take and just kept saying, "No, no, no!!!" My heart was racing. I have taken so many pregnancy tests where I was just terrified they were positive, and then they never were (obviously). With this one, I took it but didn't even really entertain the possibility that it was positive; I just assumed it would be negative, and I was thinking, "This will just confirm what I already know--that I am not." Yeah, right!

I went downstairs and asked Dan if he saw a second line, and he said, 'Yes, but it's so light; I'm sure the test is faulty.' Hmmm. So I asked Katrina, and she said the same thing. So I'm thinking, "Ok, maybe they're right."

So later, I took another. Same line, same place. Hmmmm. I told Dan, and he said, "Well, if one test is faulty, I'm sure they both are" (since they came from the same box). So the whole day at the graduation and at the dinner afterwards, I was SO nervous (but yet kind of excited). Before we headed back up to Madison, I went to Dominick's (their grocery store) and got a digital test. I asked the cashier, "Do you have a restroom around here?" She directed me to it, and I took the test immediately.

I set it on the counter, with its little hour glass thing twirling around and around, and washed my hands. I grabbed a paper towel, looked over at the test, and my jaw just dropped. "Pregnant." WHAT?!?!

I went outside where Dan was waiting in the car, and as soon as I got in, he said, "Well, shall we go?" I was surprised that he didn't seem curious at all. I just looked at him. He said, "What?" And I said, "Promise you won't be mad?" and I showed him the test. His jaw just dropped, and he said, "Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Whaaaat? Are you serious?" No, honey, I doctored the test as a joke ;) Yes, I'm serious! He didn't realize that I was actually going to take the test in Dominick's; he just thought I was going there to buy it. He even said, "I was wondering what was taking you so long!"

So, that was our exciting weekend! We called my mom right away, and she was excited. She was already happy that Roger Federer (she's obsessed with tennis) had won his tournament today, so she answered the phone, "Hello, Roger Federer is the king of the tennis world, fan club headquarters," and I said, "Hello, future grandmother on Valentine's Day." (I originally thought I was due the 14th, not the 17th) She said, "What?" I repeated myself. She said, "No way! You're kidding! You're not kidding, right? Oh my gosh!" She seemed very happy, as did my dad.

Then Dan called his mom, and she was ecstatic. We talked to Nancy, too, and she couldn't believe it :) I then called my aunt Chris (since we had just left her house) and told her that "come February 14th or so, you're going to be a great aunt!" She screamed she was so happy; it was very cool. Then we told my grandma (since we were following her back from Chicago, and we could tell she was having a hard time driving since it was night, so Dan offered to drive her van), and she seemed very happy.

Now the only person we have to tell is Tracy; I really want to do it in person, since we're so close to them (and I can't wait to see the looks on their faces! Rori has been asking me to have a baby for quite some time, haha), so hopefully we'll be able to go to their house tomorrow night or something. It better be soon, otherwise I won't be able to hold out!

And I'm going to see my group of friends (that I used to work with) tonight, and I'll tell them then. I texted Angie last night and told her, so almost everyone knows now! I just need to email my aunts and uncle in Minnesota, and then we'll be set! Crazy, crazy, crazy. I'm completely shocked, since we were planning on 2012, but I'm excited as well!

3 comments:

Nancy Coates said...

I'm so excited! And shocked too! I still can't wrap my head around it, but while I was out walking today I couldn't help smiling and thinking I'm going to be an aunt!

~Emily~ said...

LOL that is so funny you took the test @ the store!

Amanda said...

Thanks, Nancy :)You're going to be a great aunt! An amazing aunt, that is, not a great-aunt in that your niece is having a child ;)

Emily, LOL. I just couldn't wait! I had to know! Plus, I had a two hour drive back home, so I figured that would give me plenty of time to call people if I was! :)