We had a great time in Seattle visiting Dan's mom. I love that city so much, and it was so nice for Gail to be able to see her granddaughter. She was surprised at how much Kate had changed since Thanksgiving!
On our first full day there (Saturday, May 28), we just kind of lounged around at home, since we had gotten in so late the night before. That night, Gail watched Kate while Dan & I had a belated anniversary dinner at Anthony's, a seafood place. The view was beautiful; from our table we were able to see the marina, the mountains, and the beautiful green trees. The food was pretty good, too; their coconut shrimp was amazing, and of course the clam chowder was good. I was a little disappointed by the main course; I had tempura cod, and I felt like the batter was a bit too heavy to be considered tempura. Oh well, what can you do? I'm just glad we were able to get a night out!
On Sunday, we went to the Pacific Science Center with Gail, and we had a blast. I will have to post pictures later, however, since I foolishly forgot my camera that day, so I had to buy a disposable, which means I still need to get the pictures developed, uploaded, yada yada. Which is why I'm starting my chronicles on Day 3....
On Monday, we all drove to Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle. It was so much fun; by far the best zoo I have ever been to (even better than the San Diego Zoo, and a lot less expensive!) The enclosures the animals were kept in didn't even look like enclosures; it looked so much like their natural habitat, very spacious with lots of room for them to roam. Some of our favorite things we saw were the elephants, the lion and lioness, the tropical rainforest, the grizzly bears and the sea otters. For the grizzly bears, you could actually go in this little "cave" with a window that looked out onto the bear's enclosure, and I actually was nose-to-nose with one (except for the reinforced glass, of course!) It was so cool! Kate really enjoyed the sea otters. With those, it was the same as with the bears; we were in a large room that was kind of set down a bit, so all the windows (and the whole room was windows) looked into the water. Kate was just squealing with laughter as she saw the otters diving in and out of the water, over and over. She probably could have stayed in there forever!
Outside the elephant area
The twins
Such a happy girl!
Outside the recreation of the wolf den. Some of the older kids actually went in there, but I thought Kate was too little for that, so I sat outside with her
Inside the "cave" where you could look out on the bears
Glad there is some glass between us; that thing is huge!
I thought these poison dart frogs looked cool
In the recreation of the African Village; she loved playing the drum. She actually kept the beat quite well; people were commenting on what a good musician she is.
Sunday, June 12, 2011
Seattle--Day 3
Posted by Amanda at 12:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Looks like a great zoo. I'm not surprised that Kate is a good musician.
I love the Seattle Zoo! I love that picture of Kate with the jean jacket. Her eyes are so gorgeous!
Post a Comment